Two five gallon buckets full of delicious, beautiful, red apples were picked today. After transporting them home, grinning the whole way with excitement, they were washed and ready to be transformed into.....well, lots of things!
Anyway, after I played around with that handy-dandy piece of equipment for a while, I had peeled about a gallon of apples so I figured Id better make some chunky cinnamon applesauce.
Ahh, Let me tell you the house was smelling FINE! Wonderful, in fact! Heres what I did:
I took all those fabulous peeled, sliced apples and threw 'em in a big 'ol stock pot (sometimes called a dutch oven)- I added about a cup of water and let them cook down for maybe half an hour.
- Then I mashed them up with a wooden spoon good and added about two cups of sugar and a couple of generous teaspoons cinnamon.
- I then let the whole fantastic mess cook down another half hour or so and I delighted in the aromas while I cleaned up the peels and cores that were lying around
- Gave it another spoon mashing till it was a consistency I liked
- Put it in jars , processed them ( I'll eventually get around to a canning tutorial on this thing, but not today ) and Voila! Applesauce!
Next project? Apple Butter! Coming soon!

I can't wait for your apple butter! My grandma used to make it and it was Heaven!! Might I also pimp the Pampered Chef Mix 'N Chop for $10.50. Great for mashing up fruit, veggies or ground beef.
ReplyDelete