My Lovely Grandma taught me to make this one (she had a dandy husband, the esteemed "Grandpa") but the recipe originally belonged to her dear friend, Hazel (also had a husband ,but rumor has it he was something of a turd). I never had the opportunity to meet Hazel as she passed away long before I was even born, but every time Grandma or Mom would make this cake they were reminded of her so I feel as if I knew her from their reminiscing and fond memories. I sure do thank you for the recipe, Hazel. It's a Humdinger!
Enough of that, Lets bake a cake!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Whisk together:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooking oil ( I use canola)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract ( the real deal, not that imitation stuff)
- 3 cups peeled, chopped apples ( remember your handy-dandy pampered chef tool makes this a snap!)
- 1 cup walnut or pecan pieces
Stir together well and pour into 13x9" greased pan ( I spray with Baker's Joy) or use mini loaf pan or muffin tins.
For cake, bake 40 min. at 350 degrees. For muffins or loaves, about 25 min oughta do it.
And finally, be careful who you make this cake for....it's so good, you could end up with that creepy guy in the office mailroom making goo-goo eyes at you if you take it to work. Trust Me.
Additional note: If you wanted to substitute half the oil with some of the applesauce you made from my earlier post, this would cut the fat and still result in a moist product. You might want to consider cutting the sugar by 1/2 cup if you do that since the applesauce is sweetened.
No comments:
Post a Comment